Sunday, May 10, 2009

IPL LEAGUE????

The IPL is back and with it.......the T20 fever.This year,the IPL marks the start of the T20  season(though it is supposed to be the end of a cricket season!!) .That is because it is followed by the T20 World Cup in June.
So......the team owners are again on a mission.Apart of keeping a close look at the players and their performance,they are also leaving no stone unturned to publicise their respective teams among the junta.Have a look at the malls.I had visited a few malls couple of days ago....and was surprised to find the Delhi Daredevils promotion going on.The publicity also seems to be more than last year,may be because of the events shift to SA.

But if you ask me,this year's IPL hasn't been up to the mark.To start with,the HOME-AWAY funda has vanished.I know that the arrangements were made in a hurry...but c'mon,where is the regional rivalry we expected from the IPL.
Another annoying aspect is the commentary.Though the MAX team does have esteemed commentators....but somehow they have been BAD..simple as that.For example........when there is a huge 6 hit....the guy shouts"that's a DLFer".I absolutely respect the fact that DLF has paid huge sums of money.......but does that mean a 6er would be called a DLFer????
The most annoying piece of commentary came from Ravi Shastri.....he always says"IPL league"..........why doesn't someone tell him that IPL is Indian Premier LEAGUE....and that he need not add a 'LEAGUE' to it again and again.GOD!!It is so very irritating.The same guy also called the Rajasthan Royals as "Kings Royals" at the toss!!!
Add to this the quality of fielding displayed by players from across the globe.....right from Sudeep Tyagi,a rookie from Ghaziabad playing for Chennai to Brendon McCullum,the KKR captain and an international star......all have dropped sitters.In fact many of my friends suggest that there ought to be a Yellow cap for dropping the maximum number of catches......

For all this....and perhaps more reasons(which I do not remember off hand!!) this year's IPL seems to be a bit dull than last year....and also because it was expected to  be better than the last edition.At least I thought so.......

I believe I might be a bit too harsh on the people I have criticised and perhaps I am exaggerating tiny loopholes,,,but I hope that after I have pointed out these you would feel the same pinch as I felt the first time around....
Untill I come up with my next post........ENJOY.............the IPL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment